Monday, May 5, 2014

Daily Expression (speaking exercise)

following page.
pass away
postpone
put off
put up with
flattered
taxes
fee
installments
faint
lame excuse
never mind
ring a bell
shake
strike
no kidding
hate [something] with a passion
no wonder
  1. Sally called me to ask whether I wanted to spend the weekend at a spiritual retreat with her. I'm not into such things, so I told her I couldn't go because I had already planned to visit my great-grandmother at her nursing home during the weekend. After I hung up, I thought to myself: "what a _____! But it was the first thing I thought of, because Sally caught me by surprise with this invitation!"
  2. Carla, have you heard of Herbert von Karajan?
    Carla says: Bianca, this name _____, but I actually don't remember who he is.
    Bianca replies: He's a famous Austrian orchestra conductor.
  3. John, you are the best cook I've ever known. The dinner you've prepared is awesome!
    John says: Oh, thanks! I'm _____. Your compliments are very generous!
  4. Jennifer loves humanities and arts, but the only job she could find was at a bank, where she deals with numbers all day, at an isolated cubicle. She _____ her job _____!
  5. I was having dinner at Lucy's yesterday when she asked me if I had brought her the CD I had promised to lend her.
    I said: Oh, no. I forgot it on top of my desk, at the office!
    Lucy replied: _____! You can bring it tomorrow.
  6. When someone _____, it's polite to extend your sympathies to the grieving family.
  7. My homework is due tomorrow-Friday. I've been promising myself that I would start working on it since last Monday, but I _____ it _____ and now I'll have to work all night to have it finished by tomorrow.
  8. I'll never forget my visit to Sea World! It was such a hot day, that I almost _____ because of the extreme heat!
  9. Brazilian people usually pay everything in _____ because most cannot afford to pay cash.
  10. Some people in the Denver office branch were talking about how violent some South American cities were becoming. Since I live in Rio de Janeiro, I told them "_____!"
  11. It is revolting to pay such high _____ and have nothing provided by the government in return!
  12. Most colleges and universities charge a non-refundable application _____.
  13. Dissatisfied employees go on _____ to demand higher wages.
  14. One thing I can't _____ is disrespect.
  15. When I asked him if he had done well on the test, he _____ his head and didn't say a word. I understood he was disappointed about it.
source:http://esl.about.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

The Groovy Taste of English Copyright © 2009 Cookiez is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template